Porcelain Veneers in Hamilton
Veneers are a cosmetic solution for minor cracked, chipped, misshapen, discoloured or broken teeth. Veneers are made from a very thin layer of either porcelain or resin compound material (we’ll discuss the best material for you), that bonds to the front of your teeth.
How Do Veneers Work?
The process may require a few visits to our office, but we ensure you’re as comfortable as possible each time. During your first appointment, we want to discuss why you want veneers and where they can go, so x-rays will follow so we can make accurate impressions of your mouth.
At your next appointment, the surface of your teeth will be prepared under local anesthesia. A grinding tool is used to prepare the surface so there’s room for the veneer and the tooth isn’t too “thick”.
The grinding tool also creates a rougher texture so the veneer can bond more easily. Dental cement will hold it in place, we’ll give your teeth a nice shining, and off you go to show off your new and improved smile!
Can I Have Multiple Veneers?
Yes! Patients can receive six or ten veneers at once if they so wish. Veneers can be used for cosmetic reasons and to improve the function of your teeth, especially if they were poorly misshapen, cracked or broken. They can be placed on both the top and bottom teeth.
How To Look After Veneers
Your oral hygiene shouldn’t change just because you have veneers. It’s important to keep up with brushing twice a day, along with flossing once a day. By not looking after your veneers, they can easily begin to discolour at the connection site (where it’s cemented).
Those who smoke have a higher chance of noticing this happen. And remember, just because you have a veneer covering a portion of your tooth, doesn’t mean you’re protected against things like gum disease, gum recession, or bone loss.
Pros & Cons Of Veneers
Just like with any braces treatment, there are pros and cons associated with veneers and you may not necessarily be a good candidate for them. Our Hamilton Mountain Clinic’s Dentist team always remain honest and will let you know if there are other treatments that better suit your situation. We’re dedicated to patient education and want to assist you in making important decisions.
- Porcelain veneers look and feel exactly like your natural teeth. They’re also largely stain-resistant.
- They improve self-esteem issues and enhance your smile.
- They’re very durable and can last upwards of 20 years.
- It’s a relatively painless process. The grinding process is done under local anesthesia and side effects afterwards should dissipate within a few days.
- It may take anywhere from two to four weeks to receive your custom veneer.
- They can be more expensive than other treatment options.
- They can’t be fixed when cracked or broken. They need to be fully replaced.
- The dental cement will need to be touched up more often, especially if you smoke.
- They’re not the best option for those who grind or clench their teeth as this can cause them to chip or crack.
- It’s a permanent decision since we’re removing your enamel to fit the veneer.
It’s Not Just About Your Teeth. It’s About You Too.
Let our friendly dental team help you take control of your oral health again using our dental technology and constantly evolving skillsets. Improving patient experience is very important to us as well as keeping every patient well-informed throughout any procedure. Call us today to schedule your next appointment.
It’s Not Just About Your Teeth.
It’s About You Too.
Let’s help you take control of your oral health again with our dental technology that we constantly evolve with. Improving patient experience is very important to us as well as keeping every patient well-informed throughout any procedure. Call us today to schedule your next appointment.